This week’s Arts & Entertainment at home column is sponsored by Kate McDonough.
Heading into another week of social distancing to help prevent the spread of Covid-19, because staying home is the only way we are going to flatten the curve. That doesn’t mean your enjoyment of arts and entertainment is over.
Here’s your guide to the latest happening online to enjoy from the comfort and safety of your home:
Live Stream Music & Theater
- Jazz Foundation of America will host #TheNewGig on Thursday, May 14 at 8 pm to benefit its Cover-19 Musicians Emergency Fund. Hosted by Keegan-Michael Key, performers include Elvis Costello, Sheryl Crow, Robert Cray, Angelique Kidjo, Jon Batist, Stanley Jordan and Milton Nascimento. The fund helps musicians affected by the pandemic cover basic living expenses.
- Experience “Prince and the Revolution: Live,” the legendary concert filmed toward the end of the “Purple Rain” tour in Syracuse, NY on March 30, 1985 in a a three-day streaming event on YouTube from Thursday, May 14 at 7 pm to 11:59 pm on Sunday, May 17.
- Outpost in the Burbs goes online with its Online at the Outpost Virtual Series. On Thursday night, May 14, Red Molly performs and on Saturday, May 16, Glen Burtnik performs.
- Renowned opera, theater, and concert-hall performer, Renée Fleming will be joined by vocalist-songwriter Rufus Wainwright, for a discussion about the art of song on Live From Carnegie Hall on Thursday, May 14 at 2 pm
- Friday night, May 15 at 8 pm, means another edition of Jazz House Kids Hang at Home Friday Night Listening Party with our local award-winning musicians.
- This Friday, May 15 at 7 pm, on The Shows Must Go On!, Andrew Lloyd Webber’s weekly musical streams on YouTube, see Cats the stars the West End’s original.
- Join Live From New York (Anne Heaton, Teddy Goldstein, Andrew Kerr + Edie Carey) on Friday, May 15 at 6:30 pm for a reunion show at The Bitter End in NYC, the venue where they all started out performing 20 years ago.
- Watch the Hoboken Relief Fund “Love Local” Concert on Saturday, May 16 at 6 pm. The live streaming concert will be co-hosted by Mayor Ravi Bhalla and celebrity chef Buddy “the Cake Boss” Valastro and feature a variety of performances.
- Roberta Flack will host a live listening party of her songs on Saturday, May 16 at 3 pm on YouTube to benefit Feed the Children.
Film & TV
- Each week, The Montclair Film Discover Together program, shares a weekly schedule and encourages everyone to watch along at home on your own time, on the device of your choice (each film is available on one of the popular streaming services), and share your thoughts online by tagging them @MontclairFilm
Social Distance Events
- On Friday, May 15 at 2 pm, Facebook will broadcast #Graduation2020: Facebook and Instagram Celebrate the Class of 2020. The commencement address will be given by Oprah Winfrey. Awkwafina, Jennifer Garner, Lil Nas X, Simone Biles, and more, will share words of wisdom for the class of 2020. Miley Cyrus will do a special performance of her hit song, “The Climb.”
- Montclair Film goes Virtual with StorySLAM on Friday, May 15 at 8 pm on Facebook. The first virtual StorySLAM is dedicated to local business owners.
- Open up a beer and join other locals for Friday Chill Virtual Happy Hour at Montclair Brewery.
- Join Egan & Sons on Instagram Live on Friday, May 15 from for a Chris Egan quarantined DJ set!
Know of any other entertainment to enjoy at home? Please share in comments!