This week’s Arts & Entertainment at home column is sponsored by Kate McDonough.
We’re heading into the another weekend of social distancing to help prevent the spread of Covid-19, and this one is Memorial Day weekend. Let’s face it, it’s not going to be anything like your holiday weekends in the past, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy some fun.
Here’s your guide to the latest happening online to enjoy from the comfort and safety of your home:
Live Stream Music & Theater
- This week in the Online at the Outpost Virtual Series, Crys Matthews performs on Thursday, May 21 at 7 pm, and Andrew Combs performs on Saturday, May 23 at 7 pm.
- On Friday night, May 22 at 8 pm, join the Jazz House Kids Hang at Home Friday Night Listening Party with our local award-winning musicians.
- Mayo PAC will feature jazz singer Danielle Illario as part of its Friday Facebook Live series on May 22 at 12:30 pm.
- You may not be able to go down the shore, but you can enjoy the NJ Shore Online Music Festival, a three day live streaming concert featuring over 60 Jersey musicians, musicians.
- John Butler, Michael Franti, Nahko, Trevor Hall, FINK, Rising Appalachia and more will headline One Earth Live, a two-day online TransformationaL Festival from May 23 to May 24 that promotes positivity and explores the solutions and pathways for a brighter future ahead.
- The annual National Memory Day Concert goes virtual this year. Hosted by Joe Mantegna and Gary Sinise, the PBS concert will feature new performances and tributes filmed around the country to honor the military as well as heroes on the frontline of the pandemic crisis.
Film & TV
- Watch the 6th annual Red Nose Day special on Thursday, May 21 at 7 pm. The special will showcase a night of music, comedy and Hollywood’s biggest names.
- Each week, The Montclair Film Discover Together program, shares a weekly schedule and encourages everyone to watch along at home on your own time, on the device of your choice (each film is available on one of the popular streaming services), and share your thoughts online by tagging them @MontclairFilm
- Newark-based artist Jo-El Lopez will discuss his work at The Newark Museum of Art: Lunch & Learn Zoom Q&A on Thursday, May 21 at 12 pm. Lopez uses the visual storytelling of traditional realism to comment on the intersection of faith and modernity, the strength of family, and the multidimensional contemporary urban experience.
Social Distance Events
- Join Egan & Sons on Instagram Live on Thursday, May 21 at 7:30 pm for a fun Trivia Night
- Open up a beer and join other locals on May 22 at 6 pm for Friday Chill Virtual Happy Hour at Montclair Brewery.
- On Monday, May 25, Bloomfield will hold a Memorial Day Wreath Dedication Ceremony starting at the Civic Center at 9:30am and ending at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. The event will be closed to the public due to COVID-19 and will be broadcast on WBMATV later that afternoon.
- The Borough of Glen Ridge will present a Virtual Memorial Day tribute on Monday, May 25.
Know of any other entertainment to enjoy at home? Please share in comments!