This week’s Arts & Entertainment at home column is sponsored by Kate McDonough.
Heading into another week of social distancing to help prevent the spread of Covid-19, because staying home is the only way we are going to flatten the curve. That doesn’t mean your enjoyment of arts and entertainment is over.
Here’s your guide to the latest happening online to enjoy from the comfort and safety of your home:
Live Stream Music & Theater
- NJPAC presents DJ Dance Party: House Music on Facebook Live with house music by DJ Jihad Muhammad on Thursday night at 7 pm.
- On Friday night, June 12 at 8 pm, enjoy Jazz House KiDS Friday Night Listening Party: Jazz Guitar Panel
- On Sunday, June 14, the Bang on a Can Marathon will presents 6 hours of nonconformist, noncommercial, boundary-smashing music from all over the globe. Rhiannon Giddens, Terry Riley, Roscoe Mitchell, and more will perform.
Film & TV
- Join the Montclair Film Carpool Theater this weekend! Screenings take the place at Lot 60 on the campus of Montclair State University beginning promptly at sunset (approximately 8:45 pm). Ticketed patrons should plan to arrive early in order to follow strict safety precautions for the screening:
Art & Literature
- Join Montclair Art Museum’s new online artist series MAM Conversations on Thursday, June 11 at 6 pm. Miami-based artist, Federico Uribe will be in conversation with Adam Adelson — Director of Adelson Galleries — discussing his work and studio.
- On Thursday, June 11 at 1 pm, Newark Museum presents Lunch & Learn: Kambui Olujimi. Contemporary artist Kambui Olujimi will discuss his work in this presentation and Q&A session.
- Watchung Booksellers, with Montclair Bounce & MPL, will present Candy Cooper with Marc Aronson discussing Cooper’s book Poisoned Water: How the Citizens of Flint MI Fought for their Lives and Warned the Nation in an online event onThursday, June 11 at 7pm.
- Watchung Booksellers, along with Montclair History Center, will present author Dewar MacLeod discussing his book Making the Scene in the Garden State, which explores New Jersey’s rich musical heritage through stories about the musicians, listeners and fans who came together to create sounds from across the American popular music spectrum. Thursday, June 11 at 12 pm and 7 pm.
- Celebrate Flag Day with MPL on Friday, June 12 at 9 am with a lecture by Janet Mandel on American Icon Norman Rockwell.
Social Distance Events
- Cedar Bean’s Coffee Joint in Cedar Grove is hosting a A Very Virtual! Caffeinated Open Mic every Thursday night. Poets, troubadours and instrumentalists are welcome to sign up and plug in at home and they will broadcast your 10 minute set on their Facebook page for all to watch.
- Open up a beer and join other locals for Friday Chill Virtual Happy Hour at Montclair Brewery.
Know of any other entertainment to enjoy at home? Please share in comments!