This week’s Arts & Entertainment at home column is sponsored by Kate McDonough.
Heading into another week of social distancing to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, because staying home is the only way we are going to flatten the curve. That doesn’t mean your enjoyment of arts and entertainment is over.
Here’s your guide to the latest social distance events to enjoy from the comfort and safety of your home:
Live Stream Music & Theater
- Beginning on Thursday, August 13 at 7:30 pm, Morris Museum will present the Lot of Strings Music Festival featuring four of the most exciting and critically acclaimed string quartets over the course of four Thursday evenings atop the Morris Museum’s elevated parking lot. Enjoy the thrill of live music, and stunning sunsets from the comfort of your own socially distant 8’x8’ block. Bring your own chairs and refreshments and make an evening of the occasion!
- NJPAC presents virtual Sounds of the City with DJ Beverly Bond spinning all your favorites on Thursday, August 13 at 7 pm.
- On Friday night, August 14 at 8 pm, enjoy Jazz House KiDS Friday Night Listening Party: Big Band Leaders.
- Jon Bon Jovi and his son will take part in a Virtual Happy Hour with Hampton Water, the father-and-son duo’s wine company, on Friday, August 14 at 7 pm.
Film & TV
- Each week, The Montclair Film Discover Together program, shares a weekly schedule and encourages everyone to watch along at home on your own time, on the device of your choice (each film is available on one of the popular streaming services), and share your thoughts online by tagging them @MontclairFilm
Art, Literature, & History
- On Thursday, August 13 at 8 pm, Vanguard Theater Company will premiere the Fifth Annual Broadway Buddy Mentorship Cabaret, benefiting The Actors Fund’s COVID-19 emergency relief efforts. Special guests and industry supporters like Lin-Manuel Miranda, Betty Buckley, Yvette Gonzalez-Nacer, Gabrielle Ruiz, Loren Lott, Michael James Lewis, and Seth Rudetsky will appear throughout the performance!
- Join Montclair Art Museum’s new online artist series MAM Conversations on Thursday, August 13 at 6 pm for an evening in conversation with some of northern NJ’s most accomplished teen artists and national winners of the Scholastic Art Awards.
Social Distance Events
- Bloomfield Center invites you for Al Fresco Dining and musical entertainment on Friday nights from 6 pm – 10 pm.
Know of any other socially distanced events happening this weekend? Please share in comments!