This week’s Arts & Entertainment at home column is sponsored by Kate McDonough.
Heading into another week of social distancing to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, because staying home is the only way we are going to flatten the curve. That doesn’t mean your enjoyment of arts and entertainment is over.
Here’s your guide to the latest social distance events to enjoy from the comfort and safety of your home:
Live Stream Music & Theater
- On Thursday, August 20 at 7:30 pm, Morris Museum will present the Lot of Strings Music Festival featuring JACK Quartet. Enjoy the thrill of live music, and stunning sunsets from the comfort of your own socially distant 8’x8’ block. Bring your own chairs and refreshments and make an evening of the occasion!
- NJPAC presents virtual Sounds of the City with DJ Spinna spinning all your favorites on Thursday, August 20 at 7 pm.
- Enjoy the Best of the Montclair Jazz Festival: LIVEstream on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday: August 21 – 23, at 8 pm
Film & TV
- Each week, The Montclair Film Discover Together program, shares a weekly schedule and encourages everyone to watch along at home on your own time, on the device of your choice (each film is available on one of the popular streaming services), and share your thoughts online by tagging them @MontclairFilm
- Have a laugh at the BergenPAC Sunset Drive-in Concert Series on Sunday, August 23 at 6 pm.Enjoy a live performance by Jim Breuer in the Westfield Garden State Plaza parking lot, complete with full production, large LED screens, and food trucks., $80+
Art, Literature, & History
- Join Montclair Art Museum’s online artist series MAM Conversations on Thursday, August 20 at 6 pm for a conversation with multi-media artist, poet, performer, and activist Vanessa German. Visit German in her studio to discuss her recent work, including the new mixed media assemblage “Can I Love You Without Capitalism? How?” (2019). MAM Art Committee and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility Committee member Jonathan Simon will serve as moderator.
- On Thursday, August 20 at 12 pm, join Newark Museum for Lunch and Learn: An Artful Conversation with Dahlia Elsayed, Noon. Artist Dahlia Elsayed makes paintings and sculpture that read like a visual diary of worldbuilding. Her fictional landscapes evoke both material place and psychological states, and suggest a dual way of reading personal territory that encourages exploration, pause and suggestion. She will talk about her recent projects and studio practice during the months of lockdown.
- On Saturday, August 22 at 11 am, join the Studio Montclair Urban Sketching group and paint/draw outdoors on Church Street (corner of South Fullerton). Everybody welcome, bring your masks and your art supplies.
Social Distance Events
- Join Montclair Brewery for its 2nd Annual Jamaica Independence Day Celebration on Saturday, August 22 from 11 am – 11 pm. Be there as we celebrate Jamaica’s 58th anniversary with some new brews, music, and overall Caribbean ambiance in the outdoor beer garden. Reservations are highly encouraged to guarantee a spot. Reserve a table at this link
- Bloomfield Center invites you for Al Fresco Dining and musical entertainment on Friday nights from 6 pm – 10 pm.
Know of any other socially distanced events happening this weekend? Please share in comments!