Since way back in 2004, Baristanet has been dedicated to supporting and promoting local businesses. With the ongoing fight to dismantle systemic racism in our society, an actionable way to support our community is to shop at Black-owned businesses.
Here is a round up of local Black-owned businesses. Please let us know if we missed any in comments and we will continue to update this list:
Food & Drink
- Montclair Brewery – A husband and wife owned microbrewery and tasting room. They offer an eclectic mix of beer styles, some inspired by their roots in West Africa and the Caribbean, as well as their love for traditional European styled beers.
- Cafe Moso – Bistro in Montclair’s South End serving up elevated comfort food and incredible BBQ classics
- Kreme & Krumbs – An artisanal ice cream brand and shop in Bloomfield. Ice creams are handcrafted in small batches using premium dairy, seasonal ingredients, the finest chocolates and vanillas. Sourced from the world’s best artisan producers and Jersey’s best sustainable growers.
- Mesob – An authentic Ethiopian restaurant in Montclair. A favorite for both vegans & meat lovers with its authentic cuisine.
- Montclair Diner – traditional NJ diner serving all-day breakfast and other diner favorites.
- Pure Love Pies – Pie shop and bakery in Bloomfield that specializes in making traditional Navy Bean Pie, as well as sweet and savory classics.
- Jefferson Cafe and Food Market – A casual cafe in Montclair serving soul food.
- In The Company of Yum – Pop-up Bakery specializing in pies and yummy treats.
- Cheesecakes by Jacinda – Bloomfield bakery offering homemade cheesecakes made fresh per order in a variety of unique flavors. They also offer health conscious cakes such as Keto, Gluten Free, and Vegan.
- Cafe Mobay – Jamaican cuisine at what the owners claim is “Montego Bay” in Jersey. Live music and drinks too.
- Saveur Creole – Haitian restaurant in Montclair serving classic Creole dishes including gumbo and jambalaya.
- Sweet Memories by Jaleesa – Specializes in custom buttercream and fondant cakes, as well a cupcakes, brownies, and other sweets.
- Coffee & Cornbread – Montclair will soon have a new cafe and eatery serving up organic, non-GMO comfort food favorites, along with plenty of vegan options, for breakfast and lunch.
Retail & Home Improvement
- Mr. Killion Men’s Clothing – Upscale Mens’ Haberdashery with a distinctive modern style in Montclair.
- Sofistafunk The Skirt Co. – A slow fashioned lifestyle collection of versatile minimum and zero-waste skirts.
- Dem Two Hands – Boutique in Montclair selling Bohemian clothing, shoes & accessories.
- Johari – Boutique selling intimate apparel & swimsuits. Specializes in bra-fittings.
- Ikuzi Dolls – Founded by a Montclair mom, Ikuzi Dolls creates beautiful, hand-crafted Black dolls in a variety of complexions, hair textures, styles, and more.
- Joanna Howard Home – Montclair-based designer creating Scandinavian design with artisan craftsmanship from Peru and Portugal to create pillows, throws, and scarves.
- Rose and Co Candlemakers – Montclair middle-school students (and also the daughter of Joanna Howard Home designer) selling scented handmade, natural, soy and coconut wax, eco-wick, wonderful smelling, dye-free candles.
- Wyanoke Builders – Family-owned construction company in Montclair that specializes in all aspects of residential construction & renovation.
- Heratij – Shop in Montclair selling exclusive, high-quality apparel and products that are ethically sourced and sustainably made.
- The Glass Touch Interior Design – Full-service interior design firm providing creative ideas and practical design solutions to your most pressing decorating dilemmas.
- Velvet Lush – Montclair boutique hosts a contemporary ambiance with a collection of curated pieces. All items are hand-selected and styled for the exclusive clientele, trendsetters, and fashionistas alike.
- Styled Blu Events – Based in Montclair, this company helps its clients develop meaningful and memorable events . SB also just launched a lifestyle artisanal home décor accents product line.
- Swoon Montclair – home furnishings and lifestyle boutique
- Montclair Flowers & Gifts – Full service florist in Montclair offering flowers and arrangements for all occasions.
Health & Wellness
- Kika Stretch Studios – Montclair studio assisting you in stretching to help relieve tension and increase flexibility.
- Image Dermatology – Dr. Jeanine B. Downie, M.D. is board certified by the American Board of Dermatology and has extensive training and experience in all aspects of dermatology, cosmetic dermatology, laser and dermatologic surgery.
- Sharron Miller’s Academy for the Performing Arts – Arts education organization in Montclair that offers training in dance and related theater arts to children, teens, adults and seniors.
- Dr. Barnes and Carter – Optometrist and sunglasses & eyewear store in Montclair.
- Architect Studios – A high intensity interval training conditioning studio in Montclair.
- Montclair Pediatric Dental Care – Dr. Tyra Manso provides oral healthcare for children from one year of age to 18 years of age.
- Stellar Smile Center – Dr. Jackson and the Stellar Smile Center team provide dental care for all ages in Montclair.
- Pee-kaboo Potty Sticker – Created by a Montclair mom, the peekaboo reusable potty training sticker™ solves the toughest obstacle to potty training-getting your child to want to use the potty again and again.
- Ahava Felicidad Hair And Body – Montclair-based Holistic hair healer for chemical free hair products, natural hair styles, and addressing hair and hair growth issues.
- Add Pilates – Bloomfield studio with a focus on Pilates for mothers, specifically those dealing with postpartum issues or anyone who’s body has been effected by injuries or chronic illnesses.
Education & Enrichment
- Montclair Learning Center – Montclair enrichment center that offers STEAM classes, camps, and parties.
- Lovlee Art Studios – Offers 18mo. – 4 year old Art Enrichment classes, art workshops for school aged children, camps, birthday parties, and special events.