This week’s Arts & Entertainment at home column is sponsored by Kate McDonough.
Thanksgiving weekend is here and, although this year will be quite different, we’re thankful that there are many social distance events that we can enjoy safely.
Here’s what’s happening this holiday weekend:
Live Stream Music & Theater
- On Friday, November 27 at 7pm, enjoy Grateful for The Dream – a very special livestream theater concert featuring Vanguard Theater Company Broadway Buddies Jewelle Blackman, Tamar Greene, Kimberly Marable, and Lindsay Roberts, with special guests Matthew Morrison, Carolee Carmello, Lilla Crawford, Jackson Demott Hill, Laura Michelle Kelly, and more!
- Dua Lipa is offering fans a multidimensional livestream experience she’s calling “Studio 2054,” featuring special guests. $16+
- Enjoy a rare solo performance from Mary Chapin Carpenter, recorded with no audience at the Filene Center at Wolf Trap, in Vienna, Virginia. The show will stream through SOPAC on Friday, November 27 at 8 pm.
- Eric Bellinger is streaming a performance of music from his latest release, Eric B. For President: Term 3, for a livestream show on Friday, November 27 at 9 pm, $20.
- Enjoy an evening with James Gedeon & Friends on Saturday, November 28 at 7:30 pm in person, as well as livestream so you can watch from home. Bringing more than a century’s worth of musical experience to the stage, James Gedeon, Jim Nuzzo, Bruce Alcott and Lou Gioia will draw from a vast musical catalog to provide an evening of music and stories sure to entertain audiences of all ages.$29–$49.
- Switch on the Christmas lights and enjoy an online salute to the holiday classic, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation with NJPAC’s virtual film event on Saturday, November 28 at 8 pm, $25
- Watch Zappa: The First All-Access Documentary on the Life and Times of Frank Zappa through SOPAC’s home acmes streaming beginning on Friday, November 27. $12
- Check out Montclair Film’s Virtual Cinema’s lineup this weekend. It’s the best way to watch the latest movies from home while supporting our non-profit organization.
- Get some comic relief at Mayo PAC’s stand-up series showcasing the rising stars of comedy on Friday night at 6 pm and 8:30 pm. Mature content, language. Adults only, $30
Art, History, & Literature
- Head to our local art museum and start your holiday shop at The Shop at MAM’s Museum Store Sunday event. Get 20% discount on merchandise, Museum admission
Social Distance Events
- Join the Montclair Branch of the NAACP at its First Annual Virtual Day-After-Turkey, Fun Run/Walk 2K on Friday, November 27. Residents are encouraged to virtually participate with family and friends by running their own version of a 2 K run or walk and sharing their experience on social media.
Shop small this holiday season! Head downtown on Small Business Saturday for performances by the Montclair Orchestra and for free one-day parking permits with proof of downtown purchases. Free 2 hour parking at meters! Many shops will set up outside for safer shopping.
- Celebrate Small Business Saturday at Montclair History Center’s Pop-Up holiday market. “Home for the Holidays” offers a protected outdoor shopping experience on the front porch of the 1894 Clark House.