This week’s Arts & Entertainment at home column is sponsored by Kate McDonough.
Heading into another week of social distancing to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, because staying home is the only way we are going to flatten the curve. That doesn’t mean your enjoyment of arts and entertainment is over.
Here’s your guide to the latest social distance events to enjoy:
Live Stream Music & Theater
- On Thursday, December 17 at 8 pm, Nutley Little Theatre will present “Family Drama,” the next installment of its series of staged readings of original shows by up-and-coming playwrights. This presentation consists of two one acts that explore family dynamics in a time of changing perceptions of relationships, gender, and identity.
- Barenaked Ladies are doing a special holiday livestream featuring songs from Barenaked for the Holidays as well as some sketch comedy written by the band on Friday, December 18 at 9 pm. $15
- Enjoy a holiday show! There are so many choices in our round up list.
- See Moscow Ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker from the best seat in the house – your living room – thanks to Mayo PAC. Watch on Saturday, December 19 at 12 pm. $25
- Also on Saturday at Mayo PAC, Dead on Live performs the classic album American Beauty in its entirety, along with other Grateful Dead favorites in a freer, looser more interpretive style. Rather than having the band play the songs, they’re letting the songs play the band! Join us in person at MPAC for this limited capacity concert, or stream the performance live from home! $25-$59
- Through Saturday, December 19 at 7 pm, enjoy a holiday concert from the comfort of your home thanks to SOPAC. Tony Award nominee and Emmy Award winner Liz Callaway will perform a mix of holiday favorites, beloved Broadway showtunes, share stories about the holidays and her career, and offer a preview of music from her new holiday album, Comfort and Joy. $25
- Check out Montclair Film’s Virtual Cinema’s lineup this weekend. It’s the best way to watch the latest movies from home while supporting the non-profit organization.
Art, History, & Literature
- How do you celebrate the holidays? How did they celebrate back in 1891? Enjoy a virtual look inside of the Ballantine House, an urban mansion situated in downtown Newark, NJ on Saturday, December 19 at 11 am.
Social Distance Events
- Montclair Brewery will host a Kwanzaa and Holiday Craft Market on Saturday, December 19 from 11-3 pm. There will be vendors, delicious drinks, and great company celebrating the Kwanzaa spirit!
- See holiday scenes like Bryant Park, Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Center, Store Window Decorations, and more – right from the comfort, warmth and safety of your home thanks to The Women’s Club of Glen Ridge this weekend. $30