Montclair Art Museum is recruiting a new class of volunteer docents! Montclair Art Museum’s volunteer docent program is ideal for people who want to deepen their relationship with their community, get a deep dive into American art including the art of Native North America, and get the inside scoop about Museum exhibitions from curators and artists. If you are a people-person who is passionate about art and wants to share that passion with others, become a docent!
- An opportunity to provide valuable community service at the Museum
- Affiliation with a professional organization
- Camaraderie that comes with volunteering with like-minded people
- Ongoing professional development training in museum education and art education, including training sessions with curators, exhibiting artists, and guest speakers such as arts professionals and university professors.
- Free admission to most MAM events, lectures, and public programs (excludes fundraising events and rentals)
- Opportunity to bring two guests per visit to view the MAM galleries for free (excludes public programs and events)
- Early registration for adult classes and workshops at the Yard School of Art
- 20% discount on Museum merchandise at the store and 10% on consignment merchandise
- Free or discounted admission to other museums with MAM Docent ID badge
- Borrowing privileges at Montclair State University library
- Retired docents will be honored as Docent Emeriti
Docents volunteer about 80 service hours per year in trainings, doing independent research and outreach, going on field trips to other museums, and at social gatherings with other member of the docent corps.
Docent Diversity, Equity, Accessibility & Inclusion
MAM is committed to establishing a docent group that is as representative as the collection and communities it serves. MAM seeks docents who represent historically marginalized groups in order to re-shape the conversations facilitated in the galleries. MAM welcomes your inquiries and participation. Reach out to Noaa Stoler, Assistant Director of K-12 Learning & Gallery Interpretation at email@example.com to learn more and get involved!