This weekend events guide column is sponsored by Kate McDonough.
Here’s your guide to weekend events, both virtual and in-person, to enjoy:
- NJPAC presents four-time GRAMMY® nominee and multi-platinum saxophonist Boney James tonight, October 14 at 7:30 pm.
- Mayo PAC presents a double bill of two of the greatest Southern rockers of all time, featuring The Marshall Tucker Band and the Outlaws on Friday, October 15 at 8 pm.
- Jazz queens Tierney Sutton and Ann Hampton Callaway join forces for the first time with a tribute to famous film music at NJPAC on Friday, October 15 at 7:30 pm.
- See Benny the Butcher at The Wellmont on Friday, October 15 at 8 pm.
- Check out this weekend’s live music at Just Jake’s: Good Noise, Alternate Groove, & Lifespeed
- Check out this weekend’s live music at Ruthie’s:
- Check out this weekend’s live music at Montclair Brewery: Faso Band, P&H Duo, & The Outcrops
- On Sunday, October 17 at 7 pm, NJPAC presents Los Tigres del Norte–the kings of norteño.
Theater & Dance
- Peak Performances presents the world premiere of The Eye is the First Circle this weekend. Conceived, directed, and performed by Simone Dinnerstein, this dynamic production deconstructs and collages elements from two iconic works of art-her father Simon Dinnerstein’s The Fulbright Triptych and Charles Ives’s Piano Sonata no.2 (Concord).
- Luna Stage presents The Frontera Project on October 14– 16. The play brings Mexican and US artists together in a unique, bi-lingual, interactive performance experience. Fusing theater, movement, music, and play, this dynamic piece engages the audience in a compassionate, often joyous conversation about the Border that lifts up the kinds of human stories that too often get lost in the noise of partisan agendas and media bubbles.
Art & Literature
- MPL presents Alice Hoffman The Book of Magic in conversation with Elisabeth Egan tonight, October 14 at 7 pm
- Six local women artists will be featured in Pop Up Art Show on Friday, October 14 from 4 pm– 8 pm at the Montclair Women’s Club.
- The 22nd Annual Rose Squared Art Show at Brookdale Park will be from October 16-17 from 10 am– 5 pm. The award-winning show features 150 fine artists and fine crafters.
- On Thursday, October 14 from 5 pm–10 pm, Montclair Brewery will host a Diwali Fest event organized by several local Indian families! The night will have food, music, dancing, among other Diwali traditions.
- Join the Montclair Community Farm and Montclair History Center for some fun on the Farm this Friday, October 15 from 5 pm – 7:30 pm. Bring your own blanket and beverages and enjoy live music from School of Rock Montclair, food from Ruthie’s BBQ & Pizza, River Valley Community Grains, lawn games, farm products, opportunities to meet other chickens, and more.
- On Saturday, October 16, AAPI Montclair and the Montclair Art Museum present Light Up Montclair–Montclair’s first-ever public Diwali celebration. The event will feature family-friendly educational, cultural, and social activities to teach community members about Diwali and offer a chance to celebrate and learn together.