November 30 is #GivingTuesday—an opportunity for people around the world to come together through generosity in all its forms by sharing acts of kindness and giving their voice, time, money, goods, and advocacy to support communities and causes. This year, more than ever, your local non-profits need so much support.
If you need some inspiration, here are some ways to show some local love:
- Donations to Toni’s Kitchen are especially important during this urgent time of need in our community. Since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, the food pantry has seen numbers rise from 240,000 meals provided annually to almost 1,500,000 meals this year.
- Since the pandemic in 2020, Human Needs Food Pantry added over 1,200 new households beyond its usual numbers (as of 10/2021). These numbers grow every week and will only go higher for the foreseeable future. Donate online.
- Montclair Neighborhood Development Corporation’s mission is to empower and support disadvantaged individuals, youth, and families to achieve an improved quality of life through training, education, and advocacy. Donate online.
- HOMECorp is committed to creating and preserving affordable housing with the belief that it preserves economic diversity and ignites community revitalization while fostering financial empowerment. Donate online.
- A donation to Montclair Community Farms helps its mission to serve as a local hands-on resource that engages and educates the community through urban farming, affordable food access, and healthy living.
- Before the pandemic, The Montclair Public Library averaged 51 visitors for each hour it was open. During lockdown demand for library cards skyrocketed so that people could access the e-books, music, virtual programs, and other online resources the Library continued to provide. MPL is a beloved and vital resource in our community. Donations to MPL may be made by check to the Montclair Public Library Foundation, 50 South Fullerton Avenue, Montclair, or online at the Foundation website.
- The Bloomfield Public Library Foundation’s vision is to provide privately sourced funding beyond the constraints of the municipal budget and to help create a library space for all to access. Donations can be made online or checks made payable to “The Bloomfield Public Library Foundation” can be mailed to 90 Broad Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003.
- The Friends of the Glen Ridge Library relies on the generosity of the community to ensure the enhanced programs and services continue for years to come. Donations make their way to the Glen Ridge Public Library by supporting its programs, events, and services.
- A donation to S.O.F.I.A (Start Out Fresh Intervention Advocates), will help the organization keep its commitment to empowering the lives of women and their families that have been affected by domestic violence.
- No matter the challenges facing our community, The YMCA of Montclair is here to help. During the COVID19 pandemic, the Y has provided programming to address needs like food insecurity, blood shortages, emergency childcare, and remote learning support.
- During the single most challenging year in its 107-year history, Montclair Art Museum continued to offer engaging, thought-provoking exhibitions, innovative virtual programming, and ways to connect during a time of isolation. You can donate to MAM here.
- A gift to Jazz House Kids allows the organization to bring programs, teachers, instruments, inspiration, and dedication to thousands of young people who look to them to help them share their songs. Donations can be made online.
- Support for APEX Ensemble comes from community members like you. Make a donation to support the arts in Montclair and Northern New Jersey.
- A donation to Montclair Film allows the organization to bring great films, filmmakers, programs, and events to our region while keeping ticket prices affordable.
- Vanguard Theater Company is raising money to replenish its scholarship funds and to upgrade our sound system. VTC is a nonprofit arts organization committed to producing transformational theater programming with an emphasis on D.R.E.A.M. Donate online.
- CASA of Essex County promotes the welfare of children who have been removed from their homes due to abuse, neglect, or abandonment by providing a safety net of support, advocacy, and mentorship. A donation helps them with their mission.
- Outpost in the Burbs is a non-profit outreach organization dedicated to building community through music, community service, and cultural programs. Donate online here.
- A donation to Montclair Scholarship Fund helps talented and deserving Montclair High School seniors. MSF only has sufficient funds to support one out of every four MHS students who apply. With your donation, Montclair Scholarship Fund can help more MHS students defray the cost of their college education.
- Support the mission of Montclair Ambulance Unit with a donation. Donations to MAU help not only the day-to-day operations but also MAU Community Outreach which delivers low-cost community education to individuals, schools, community groups, and more.
- Montclair Fund for Educational Excellence (MFEE) raises money to engage and empower students, teachers, and supporters of public education. MFEE drives innovation and collaborates with the Montclair community to create equitable access to high-quality education for all students. Donate online.
- The Montclair Foundation awards grants to help charitable organizations in the greater Montclair area. Donate online.
- Out Montclair is an all-volunteer organization and relies on the generosity of donors to help make possible the events, activities, and resources we are bringing to the Montclair LGBTQIA+ community, including the first Montclair Pride Festival in June 2022. Donate here.
- Laptop Upcycle is committed to obtaining, refreshing, and distributing technology to students who need the tools to succeed in school. You can donate technology or funds online.
- Bloomfield Animal Shelter accepts food, supplies, and monetary donations to support its work. More information here.
- The Friends of the Montclair Township Animal Shelter is the fundraising arm of the Montclair Township Animal Shelter. Monetary donations are most appreciated. Checks can be made out to “The Township of Montclair” and a notation should be made in the memo section that says “Animal Shelter Donation.” Checks for the shelter can be mailed to the Montclair Health Department at 205 Claremont Avenue, Montclair, NJ 07042, Attention: Arlene Karp.