This weekend events guide column is sponsored by Kate McDonough.
Here’s your guide to weekend events, both virtual and in-person, to enjoy:
- APEX Ensemble, formerly The Montclair Orchestra, returns to the stage with conductor David Chan with a program entitled ‘Sound & Fury’ on Friday, November 5 at 8 pm. Soprano Leah Hawkins, joining the ensemble between appearances at New York’s Metropolitan Opera for Terrence Blanchard’s “Fire Shut Up In My Bones” and Gershwin’s “Porgy and Bess”, will sing arias from Federico Cilea, William Grant Still, and Giacomo Puccini.
- Steely Dan will perform a four-night residency at Mayo PAC this weekend. Each night the band will perform from a different classic album:
- NJPAC presents The Django Festival Allstars on Friday, November 5 at 8:30 pm bring the music of the legendary Gypsy Jazz Guitarist Django Reinhardt fully into the 21st century.
- The reigning Queen of funk, soul, and R&B—and ten-time GRAMMY winner—Chaka Khan returns to NJPAC for what’s sure to be a classic concern on Saturday, November 6 at 8 pm.
- The Wellmont Theater presents In This Moment and Black Veil Brides on Saturday, November 6 at 8 pm.
- Check out this weekend’s live music at Tierney’s: Watchung Mountain Riders
- Check out this weekend’s live music at Just Jake’s: Audio Riot and Man Down
- Check out this weekend’s live music at Ruthie’s: Madame Pat Tandy
- Check out this weekend’s live music at Montclair Brewery: Hometown Radio and The Rumberos
- Bergen PAC presents Gladys Knight on Sunday, November 7 at 7 pm.
- See Chase Atlantic at The Wellmont on Sunday, November 7 at 8 pm.
Theater & Dance
- Peak Performances presents Look Who’s Coming to Dinner this weekend. Set around a transformative dinner setting, seven dance-theatre artists excavate interlaced universal traumas through imagery and ritual as they seek a seat at the table.
- Nimbus Dance returns to NJPAC on Saturday, November 6 at 7 pm.
- Bergen PAC presents Justin Willman: Magic for Humans on Friday, November 5 at 8 pm.
Art & Literature
- Watchung Booksellers hosts actor and political advisor Kal Penn to its virtual stage to celebrate the release of his memoir “You Can’t Be Serious” with special guest John Choon Friday, November 5 at 7 pm.
- On Saturday, November 6 at 6 pm, the annual SOPAC Gala brings together patrons, community leaders, and artists to celebrate SOPAC’s achievements and pay tribute to our supporters.
On Saturday and Sunday, shop and enjoy refreshments at the Holly Berry Gift and Craft Show at the Women’s Club of Upper Montclair (200 Cooper Avenue, Upper Montclair).