This weekend events guide column is sponsored by Kate McDonough.
So many great local events to enjoy this weekend! From live music and concerts to comedy and theater, to films and social events, this is your guide to what’s happening:
- The Wellmont presents acclaimed indie-pop band Lucius on Friday, May 6 at 8 pm.
- Mayo PAC presents Tusk, the top Fleetwood Mac tribute band in the world, on Friday, May 6 at 8 pm.
- Check out this weekend’s live music at Tierney’s: Lou Tambone, Six to Eight Mathematics, and Sad About Girls
- Check out this weekend’s live music at Ruthie’s: Don Sarlin
- Check out this weekend’s live music at Montclair Brewery: Zuko Phillips Cohn & Starr
- Check out this weekend’s live music at Just Jake’s: The Pulse & New Power Soul
- The Wellmont presents Get The Led Out on Saturday, May 7 at 8 pm.
- Some of the greatest voices on the opera world stage today are coming together for A Concert for Ukraine: Giuseppe Verdi’s Il Trovatore, with proceeds going to Ukraine, at Christ Episcopal Church in Glen Ridge on Sunday, May 8 at 4 pm.
- See a Movie! Check out the weekend lineup at The Claridge.
Theater & Dance
- Let the artists of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater take you on a path of discovery this weekend at NJPAC. This mixed repertory program will feature a variety of works, including the beloved Ailey masterpiece Revelations.
- Using clowning, acrobatics, magic, and improvisation, Familie Flöz makes its highly anticipated U.S. debut after delighting European audiences for more than 20 years with captivating theatrical experiences. See this show at Peak Performances this weekend!
- Morris Museum presents All Vows, a Live Arts World premiere this weekend. History, memory, and imagination collide in this new work of puppet theater about the possibly true life of Poppy, a Russian Jewish refugee raised in China.
- For over a decade at clubs across the country, and as the host of three podcasts, Nikki Glaser has been honing her shockingly-honest, no-holds barred style of comedy. See her at The Wellmont on Sunday, May * at 7 pm.
- In his hilarious standup sets, Jared Freid takes on relationships, hookups, body anxiety, and all the things that go along with reluctant millennial adulting. See him at NJPAC on Saturday, May 7 at 8 pm.
- Majah Hype, The Caribbean King of Comedy, returns to NJPAC for two Mother’s Day shows on Sunday, May 8 at 5 pm and 7:45 pm.
Art & Literature
- Join Newark Museum for a virtual conversation on Friday, May 6 at 7 pm, with a panel of Filipinx artists whose work and ideas are helping to redefine the fields of contemporary art, fashion, and design.
- More than 70 local, national, and international authors will take part in the sixth annual Succeed2gether’s in-person Montclair Literary Festival from Thursday, May 5 to Monday, May 9, with Festival Day on Saturday, May 7.