- This event has passed.
NMOA: Summer Family Thursdays & Fridays: July 14 – August 19. 2022
August 11 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Thursday, repeating until August 18, 2022
Thursday through Sunday, 10am–11am — Members and Member Guests only
Thursday through Sunday, 11am–5pm — All Visitors
FREE WITH GENERAL ADMISSION TICKETS.
Enjoy a day of fun activities for the whole family at The Newark Museum of Art.
Timeline of Activities
- 10am-5pm | MakerSPACE (Mezzanine Level, South Wing) An interactive area where kids of all ages play, tinker, and create.
- 1-4pm | Family Drop-In: (Court, Main Building) Join us for a fun summer of of science and art activities for kids 5+. See list of activities below.
- 2-2:35pm | Perfect Little Planet – Planetarium Show (Main Building) Duration: 35 minutes. For kids ages 5+.
- 3-3:35pm | Tales of Mayan Skies – Planetarium Show (Main Building) Duration: 35 minutes. For kids ages 12+.
Family Drop‑in Activities
- July 14 & 15 | Bring all the Jazz greats together in a photo collage using an easy photo transfer technique!
- July 21 & 22 | Make a travel-size wallet or bag with Tyvek and duct tape, and use it all summer long!
- July 28 & 29 | Design your very own mixed monochromatic media sculpture inspired by Louise Nevelson.
- August 4 & 5 | Party all summer with your own percussion instrument.
- August 11 & 12 | Let the sun be your paintbrush! Make sun prints with found objects. Feel free to bring your own little trinkets to design with.
- August 18 & 19 | Paint small landscapes inspired by the travelers in our Seeing America galleries.
- July 14 & 15 | Get your hands dirty as you dissect (sanitized) owl pellets*and learn about the predators, their prey, and the different bones you can find in animals’ bodies. * No owls are harmed in the collection of owl pellets. Potential Allergies: Owl pellets contain actual animal fur and bones
- July 21 & 22 | Learn about gravity and orbits as you experiment with a 3D representation of space called a gravity well.
- July 28 & 29 | Channel your inner Georgia O’Keeffe as you create take-home flowers utilizing the properties of chromatography to color your petals.
- August 4 & 5 | Join us for an inquiry exploration of surface tension and learn about how liquids react when dripped on the surface of a penny.
- August 11 & 12 | Join us as we sift through authentic fossil matrix, IDing different types, and even getting to bring home your own real fossil!
- August 18 & 19 | Is Oobleck a solid, a liquid? Experiment with the properties of a non-Newtonian substance after making your very own example of it.
- Familiarize yourself with our visiting guidelines before you arrive at the Museum.